India is the second most populated country in Asia. It is the second-largest country in South- East Asia. It is in the Northern Hemisphere and Eastern Hemisphere of the world. India is the seventh-largest country in the world per the area and the second largest in the population count. India has a very vast geographical area with a land border of 15,106.7 Km and also a very long coastline of 7,516.6 Km. Here, we are providing you the list of Neighboring Countries of India and the states that share borders with them. Check the important information about the neighboring countries that will help you to enhance your general knowledge in dealing with the questions related to the Geography of India.
Neighboring countries of India: Overview
India has a land frontier of 15,106.7 km. The total length of the coastline of India is 7,516.6 km. India shares its border with seven countries namely Afghanistan, Pakistan, China, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
Edureify, the best AI Learning App, provides students and aspirants with all the latest updates regarding the exams and study materials that will help them prepare well for the exam.
Neighboring Countries of India: Summary
- Afghanistan– Afghanistan has a borderline of 106 km with India and the border touches states like Jammu and Kashmir. The capital of Afghanistan is Kabul and the official language is Dari and Pashto. There are 34 provinces in Afghanistan.
- Bhutan– Border-line between Bhutan and India is 699 kilometers which touches states like Sikkim, Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, and West Bengal. The capital of Bhutan is Thimphu and the official language spoken in Bhutan is Dzongkha. There are 20 states in Bhutan.
- Bangladesh– The borderline of Bangladesh and India is 4156 km which touches the states Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, Mizoram, and West Bengal. The capital of Bangladesh is Dhaka and the official language spoken in Bangladesh is Bengali. There are 8 provinces in Bangladesh.
- China– The border between India and China is 3488 km and the border touches Himachal Pradesh, Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu, and Kashmir Sikkim Uttarakhand. The capital of China is Beijing and the official language spoken in China is Mandarin. There are 26 provinces in China. It is the world’s most populated country and the fastest growing economy in the world.
- Myanmar– The border of India and Myanmar is 1643 km and it touches Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, and Manipur in India. The capital of Myanmar is Yangon and the official language spoken in Myanmar is Burmese.
- Nepal– The length of the Nepal and India border is 1751 km which touch is the States Bihar, Uttarakhand, West Bengal, Sikkim, and Uttar Pradesh in India. The capital of Nepal is Kathmandu and the official language spoken in Nepal is Nepali. There are 7 provinces in Nepal.
- Pakistan– The borderline of Pakistan and India is 3323 km and it touches the states Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Gujarat, and Rajasthan in India. The capital of Pakistan is Islamabad and the official language of Pakistan is Urdu. There are four provinces in Pakistan.
- Sri-Lanka– Indian Sri Lanka and India border is a coastline that is separated by the Gulf of Mannar. The capital of Sri Lanka is Sri Jayawardenepura, the legislative capital, and Colombo, the executive capital. The official language of Sri Lanka is Sinhala and Tamil. There are 9 states in Sri Lanka. The following table will represent some of the most important information about the neighboring countries shortly.
|Specifications(Capital and the Bordering States and UTC)
|Beijing; Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Uttrakhand, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh
|Dhaka; West Bengal, Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya, and Assam
|Kathmandu; Bihar, Uttrakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Sikkim, and West Bengal
|Male; It lies in the southwest part of the Indian Ocean below the Lakshadweep Island
|Islamabad; Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Punjab, and Gujarat
|Jayawardene; is separated from India by the Gulf of Mannar
|Yangon; Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, and Manipur
|Thimpu; West Bengal, Sikkim, Arunachal Pradesh, and Assam