Yet another week passed with too many trending news to know about. The daily current affairs section of Edureify from 9th to 14th May 2022 has been buzzing with all the updates daily. Edureify makes sure that students and competitive exam aspirants of WBCS, SSC, Railways, Banking, and more get all the trending news for their preparation without having to go look elsewhere.
Following are the highlights of the daily current affairs from 9th to 14th May 2022. Read on to get a quick recap of the trending current affairs of this week.
Download the pdf to read the Weekly Current Affairs from 9th May to 14th May 2022
Daily Current Affairs of 9th May 2022–
1. The first Indian Art Festival 2022 to be held in Bengaluru-
- India Art Festival (IAF) witnessed full house participation from artists from across the country despite the impact of the pandemic, claim festival organizers.
- A contemporary art fair, the first edition of the IAF in Bengaluru is held in collaboration with Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath.
2. Rajasthan tops in the country in budget allocation of workers under MGNREGA-
- Rajasthan tops in the country in the allocation of budget for laborers under the MGNREGA scheme and even the payment rate for them has increased rapidly.
- The state also ranks first in the country in the number of families completing 100 days of work and the creation of man-days under the Mahatma Gandhi National Employment Guarantee Scheme.
3. President Ram Nath Kovind unveils the permanent campus of IIM-Nagpur-
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the permanent campus of the Indian Institute of Management, Nagpur, along with Union education minister Dharmendra Pradhan and Union minister for road transport and highways Nitin Gadkari.
4. Berlin opens Europe’s first Samurai museums-
- A new museum themed on the Samurai opens in Berlin.
- The samurai are romanticized as the epitome of chivalry and honor — even if their warfare was no less bloody or ruthless than combat elsewhere.
- This new museum in Berlin explores what is behind the myth.
5. Dubai ranked first in the world in attracting FDI projects in 2021-
- Dubai topped the global ranking as the most sought-after destination for greenfield foreign direct investment projects in 2021 on the back of “a sustainable economic environment and a vibrant business ecosystem for companies and entrepreneurs.”
- Dubai emerged as the choice of destination for 418 greenfield FDI projects in 2021, surpassing London and Singapore for the first time with a remarkable lead of over 50 FDI projects as it continued to maintain and improve on its leadership position across key FDI attraction metrics.
6. Anurag Thakur launches the official mascot, logo, and jersey of Khelo India Youth Games-
- Union Sports Minister Anurag Thakur launched the mascot ‘Dhakad’ along with the official logo and official jersey of the Fourth Khelo India Youth Games at Panchkula and lauded the effort of Haryana to host the games.
- Haryana will set an example by hosting the fourth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games from June 4 to June 13 at Panchkula and other cities.
7. 8th May: World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day-
- World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day is an annual celebration of the principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. World Red Cross Red Crescent Day is celebrated on 8th May each year.
- This date is the birth anniversary of Jean-Henry Dunant, who was born on 8th May 1828.
Highlights of the Daily Current Affairs of 10th May 2022–
1. The new Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train will also have a stop at Nepal’s Janakpur-
- The Indian Railway Catering and Ticketing Corporation (IRCTC) is all set to launch a brand new train called the Bharat Gaurav Tourist Train that will have a stop at Nepal’s Janakpur.
- The train’s route will consist of all the important stops related to the life of Shri Ram.
- The train will start its journey from Ayodhya, the birthplace of Shri Ram, with visits to Shri Ram Janmabhumi Temple and Hanuman Temple, also the Bharat Mandir in Nandigram, that stands in the memory of Ram’s younger brother Bharat.
- The route of the train also includes the Ramayana Circuit, a stop that is identified under the Swadesh Darshan scheme and will of course have a stop at Ram Janaki Temple in Nepal.
2. Justices Sudhanshu Dhulia, and JB Pardiwala take oath as the judges of the Supreme Court-
- NV Ramana, the Chief Justice of India, administered the oath of office to Justice JB Pardiwala and Justice Sudhanshu Dhulia as the Supreme Court judges.
- The apex court will now function at its full strength of 34 after the appointment of the two judges.
3. Mahinda Rajapaksa, the Prime Minister of Sri Lanka, resigns amid massive violent crashes in the country-
- Amid the ongoing economic crisis in Sri Lanka, the PM of the country Mahinda Rajapaksa resigned from his position.
- The decision of the PM’s resignation came after the President of the country Gotbaya Rajapaksa requested the PM in a special meeting to step down from his position as a solution to the ongoing economic and political crisis in the country.
4. D Gukesh, the Indian Grandmaster, wins the Sunway Formentara Open Chess Tournament-
- D Gukesh has won the 1st Chessable Sunway Formentara Open 2022 chess tournament that was held in Punta Prima.
- This was the Grandmaster’s hat-trick win after his previous wins in the La Roda tournament and the Menorca Open in recent weeks.
5. 10th May is observed as the International Day of Argania-
- 10th of May is observed as the second International Day of Argania as per the United Nations.
- The day commemorates the efforts of the Kingdom of Morocco in promoting the Argan tree as a part of the cultural heritage of humanity and a source of resilient and sustainable development.
Top News of 11th May 2022-
1. On Independence Day, India’s first Air Force Heritage Centre at Chandigarh is set to take flight-
- The Air Force Heritage Centre is all set to take flight on this year’s Independence Day.
- The country’s first IAF Heritage Centre, which will house vintage aircraft is being set up at the erstwhile Government Printing Press building in Sector 18.
- The center is set to have eight attractions in total, including aircraft models and weapon displays.
- The biggest attraction, however, will be its very own flight simulator.
2. Anurag Thakur is to walk the Red Carpet at Cannes on May 17 along with movie celebrities-
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur along with movie celebrities from across the country will walk the Red Carpet at Cannes on the 17th of May.
- Red Carpet event at the 75th Cannes Film Festival is going to be a gala event as celebrities including Akshay Kumar, AR Rahman, and Nawazuddin Siddiqui are set to walk the Red Carpet as part of the Indian delegation on the opening day of the film festival.
- This year, the intent is to showcase the rich flavor and diversity of India through its cinema.
3. Bhubaneswar launches ‘India’s first divyang sensory park’-
- In a welcome move, which promises to augment the mental and physical development of divyang children, a sensory park was inaugurated in Bhubaneswar.
- The sensory park, which was constructed in association with the Bhubaneswar Smart City Limited (BSCL) and meant only for divyang children, is claimed to be India’s first such park.
4. Yoon Suk Yeol was sworn in as the President of South Korea-
- A new political era is underway in South Korea. Yoon Suk Yeol was sworn in as President, ushering in the country’s first conservative government in five years.
- The ceremony attracted about 40,000 people, including US second gentleman Douglas Emhoff and Japan’s Foreign Minister Hayashi Yoshimasa.
- One of Yoon’s main challenges will be dealing with North Korea, which is accelerating its nuclear and missile development.
5. Mumbai: India’s first bio-gas powered EV Charging Station inaugurated by Aaditya Thackeray-
- Maharashtra Tourism Minister Aaditya Thackeray inaugurated India’s first bio-gas powered EV charging station in Mumbai.
- The charging station can generate 220 units of energy from household waste.
- The energy plant will charge electric vehicles and will power street lights.
6. Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma passes away-
- The legendary Santoor maestro and renowned musician Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma passed away in Mumbai.
- Born on 13 January 1938 in Jammu & Kashmir, Shiv Kumar started learning vocals and tabla at age of five years.
- He started learning Santoor at age 13. He was suffering from kidney-related issues for the past six months and was on dialysis. He passed away due to cardiac arrest.
Important News from the Daily Current Affairs of 12th May 2022–
1. AIM-PRIME Playbook is released to assist in academics by NITI Aayog’s AIM-
- The AIM-PRIME program, a national project of Atal Innovation Mission, launched the AIR-PRIME Playbook at the Dr. Ambedkar International Center in New Delhi.
- The AIR Program for Researchers in Innovation, Market Readiness, and Entrepreneurship (PRIME) is designed to help bring early-stage science-based, deep-technology concepts to market in a year using a blended learning curriculum.
- Venture Center of Pune is executing the Atal Innovation Mission, AIM NITI Aayog, with support from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Office of Principal Scientific Advisor.
2. The Sri Lankan economy is on the verge of complete collapse according to the country’s chief of the Central Bank-
- On May 11, Sri Lanka’s Central Bank Chief gave out a warning that the economy would ‘completely collapse’ unless a new government is appointed and political stability is urgently restored in the crisis-hit country.
- The Governor of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka said to the reporters in Colombo, ” If there is no government in the next two days, the economy will completely collapse and cannot be salvaged anymore.”
3. As the value of Crypto slumps, Coinbase loses half of its value in a week-
- A $430 million net loss in the first quarter, $1.98 per share, is reported by Coinbase on declining sales and active users.
- A profit of 8 cents per share was expected by analysts.
- As trading volumes fell and active monthly users declined to 19% in the last quarter, revenues were down.
4. The Ex-IPS Prakash Singh wrote a book titled ” The Struggle for Police Reforms in India”-
- M. Venkaiah Naidu, the Vice President of India, released the book “The Struggle for Police Reforms in India: Ruler’s Police to People’s Police” in New Delhi.
- Authored by former IPS officer Prakash Singh, the book is published by Rupa Publications India Pvt. Ltd.
5. 12th May is observed as the International Day of Plant Health-
- To raise global awareness, the UN has designated 12th May as the International Day of Plant Health.
- The purpose behind the day is to make people aware of how protecting plants will help reduce poverty, boost economic development, and protect the biodiversity and environment.
Snippets of Daily Current Affairs of 13th May 2022–
1. For a 3-Day Chintan Shivir, Rahul Gandhi Takes a Train to Udaipur-
- Some Congress leaders and workers along with Rahul Gandhi left for Udaipur on a train on the 12th of May, 2022.
- The 3-Day Chintan Shivir is meant for the all-important party leadership issues and to discuss the party’s roadmap in the upcoming days.
- Most of the leaders have acknowledged the plan to be very good and there are a lot of talks about what the Congress will do about the ideas discussed.
2. Mass Scale Protest in Jammu & Kashmir After the Killing of a Kashmiri Pandit-
- Massive protests spread across several parts of Jammu & Kashmir after a 36-year-old Kashmiri Pandit was killed last night, i.e., on the night of 12th May 2022.
- Rahul Bhat, the victim, was shot by terrorists in what appears to be a targeted attack when the terrorists barged into the Tehsildar’s office in Chadoora village of Budgam village.
- The members of the Kashmiri Pandit community left their transit camps, took to the roads after the incident, and stood against the central government, saying that it failed them.
For more daily updates and other study materials, download Edureify, the best AI Learning App.
3. Jerome Powell Confirmed to Second Term as Fed Chair Amid Inflation voted the US Senate-
- Jerome Powell is voted as the chairman of the Federal Reserve after the US Senate voted him to the post on Thursday.
- The act now confirms Powell’s position as the head of the country’s central bank for another four-year term.
4. The First Image of Blackhole at the center of the Milky Way unveiled by Scientists-
- On Thursday, scientists brought forth the first look at the ‘gentle giant’ that is lurking in the center of our Milky Way galaxy.
- The image that is circulated is of a supermassive black hole that can devour any matter within its huge gravitational pull.
5. The IAF has successfully Test-Fired the extended-range version of the BrahMos missile-
- On Thursday, the Indian Air Force successfully test-fired an extended-range version of the supersonic cruise missile BrahMos in the Bay of Bengal from a Sukhoi fighter jet.
6. Digital Wallets are to surpass Cash Payments by 2023: Report-
- The e-commerce payment preferences continue to shift away from cash and credit cards towards digital wallets for customers around the world shows the latest press release from FIS.
Important News from the Daily Current Affairs of 14th May 2022-
1. The AAP Government has launched a film policy that will help promote Delhi as a hub of movie production-
- On Friday, 13th May 2022, the AAP Government launched ‘Delhi Film Policy-2022’.
- The purpose behind the launch of this new policy is to promote Delhi as the hub of movie production.
- The government has already set aside an Rs. 30 crore fund to help support producers and the city will also hold a film festival every year.
- The nodal agency to implement this policy is the Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation (DTDC).
2. The US and its allies aim to force Russia to shift money away from war-
- To stop Russia from investing in its war machine for the fight against Ukraine, the US and its allies are going ahead with plans aimed to make Vladimir Putin start rebuilding its economy.
- The main US coordinator on the Russian sanctions strategy, Deputy Treasury Secretary Wally Adeyemo said that the goal is to make Russia be able to project less power in the future.
3. The Union Minister announces a new Repco Bank initiative, Repco Subhiksham-
- Ajay Kumar Mishra, the Union Minister of State for Home Affairs, has announced a Repco Bank deposit scheme, a New Repatriate Welfare Scheme, and a Repco Micro Finance Ltd. lending scheme.
- This new scheme, Repco Subhiksham, is a retail deposit scheme for seniors (60) and super seniors (80)
4. 13th May observed as Fair Trade Day-
- Fair Trade Day, which was observed on 13th May 2022, commemorates the movement for a world where laborers are paid fairly for the products they produce and the work they do.
- The World Fair Trade Organization (WFTO) created the day back in 2004 and said the Fair Trade Day would be celebrated on the second Saturday of May every year.
Here was the highlights of the important news of the daily current affairs of the week from 9th to 14th May 2022. For more daily updates on news, general awareness, and other important study materials, stay tuned to Edureify.